Hearing Loss Panel

Hearing Loss Panel

  • Approximately 50 to 60% of hearing loss in babies is due to genetic causes. Of these cases, 70% are non-syndromic meaning the person does not have any other symptoms and the other 30% are syndromic. Changes in genes responsible for the development of the cochlea can result in hearing loss (1). Of the 50% of the genetic forms of hearing loss, an estimated 70% are due to recessive causes, about 15% have a dominant cause; the remaining 15% include all the other forms of inheritance (2). It is estimated that as many as 3 of every 1,000 babies born are affected by hearing loss or deafness (3). Along with genetics, environmental factors can also lead to hearing loss later on in life. Genetic testing is recommended for affected individuals to assess risks for related family members.
  • Genes (157): ABHD12, ABHD5, ACTB, ACTG1, ANKH, ARSB, ATP2B2, ATP6V1B1, BCS1L, BSND, BTD, CACNA1D, CATSPER2, CCDC50, CDH23, CDKN1C, CEACAM16, CHD7, CIB2, CISD2, CLDN14, CLPP, CLRN1, COCH, COL11A1, COL11A2, COL2A1, COL4A3, COL4A4, COL4A5, COL9A1, COL9A2, COL9A3, CRYM, DCAF17, DFNA5, DFNB31, DFNB59, DIABLO, DIAPH1, DIAPH3, DLX5, DNMT1, DSPP, EDN3, EDNRB, ERCC2, ERCC3, ESPN, ESRRB, EYA1, EYA4, FGF3, FGFR3, FKBP14, FOXC1, FOXI1, GATA3, GIPC3, GJA1, GJB2, GJB3, GJB6, GPR98, GPSM2, GRHL2, GRXCR1, GSTP1, HARS2, HGF, HOXA2, HSD17B4, IDS, ILDR1, JAG1, KARS, KCNE1, KCNJ10, KCNQ1, KCNQ4, LARS2, LHFPL5, LHX3, LOXHD1, LRTOMT, MARVELD2, MASP1, MET, MIR96, MITF, MSRB3, MTAP, MYH14, MYH9, MYO15A, MYO1A, MYO1C, MYO1F, MYO3A, MYO6, MYO7A, NDP, NF2, NLRP3, OTOA, OTOF, OTOG, OTOGL, P2RX2, PAX3, PCDH15, PDZD7, PMP22, POU3F4, POU4F3, PRPS1, PTPRQ, RDX, RPS6KA3, SALL1, SALL4, SEMA3E, SERPINB6, SIX1, SIX5, SLC17A8, SLC19A2, SLC26A4, SLC26A5, SLC29A3, SLC33A1, SLC4A11, SMPX, SNAI2, SOX10, SPINK5, STRC, TACO1, TBC1D24, TBL1X, TCF21, TCOF1, TECTA, TIMM8A, TJP2, TMC1, TMIE, TMPRSS3, TMPRSS5, TPRN, TRIOBP, TRMU, TSPEAR, USH1C, USH1G, USH2A, and WFS1
    Test Code: 6021
    Clinical Indications:
    • Molecular confirmation of a clinical diagnosis in symptomatic patients.
    • Assessment for at-risk family members
    Test Info Sheet: Hearing Loss Panel
    Requisition: Contact ApolloGen Diagnostic Laboratory
  • Turn-Around Time: 4 Weeks
    Preferred Specimen: 3-5 mL Whole Blood – Lavender Top Tube
    Other Specimens: See details here
  • CPT Codes: 81430
    Pricing: Please contact us at (949) 916-8886 or inquiries@apollogen.com
  • Methodology: Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
    Related Tests:
    Alport Syndrome Panel
    Usher Syndrome Panel
    Comprehensive Mitochondrial Genome Analysis
  • References:
    1. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hearingloss/genetics.html
    2. http://www.babyhearing.org/hearingamplification/causes/genetics.asp
    3. http://www.entnet.org/content/genes-and-hearing-loss

I'm a Health Provider